This is a lucrative work from home opportunity that involves teaching international students, mostly from Asian countries, English. The opportunities have pay that ranges from $15/hour upwards. The most common pay models include pay per minute, pay per hour, and/or pay per class. Most sites require you to be a native English speaker, have a Bachelor’s degree, a fast internet connection, and a good Laptop. You can make money if you teach group classes. Most of these sites pay biweekly and monthly.
Some of these sites include:
This platform connects children in China with teachers from all over the world to provide real-time one-to-one online English immersion learning. According to this site, “they allow teachers to change the lives of children in China without having to uproot their lives. A simple google search will return hundreds of VipKid reviews from teachers and students alike regarding the working and educational opportunities respectively. A significant percentage of children on this platform are in the 3-15-year-old age group and come with varied English-speaking capabilities. The site has eligibility criteria for potential teachers including:
- Holding a Bachelor’s degree in any subject
- Having at least a year’s worth of experience working with children
- Having the legal rights to work in the US or Canada (the company does not hire individuals residing in California, New York, or Washington state because of the laws on independent contractors.)
- Reliable Internet
The site pays an average of $17-$19 per hour that is broken down into base pay (made per 25 minutes class) of $7.50; finished class incentive (for all classes) ranging between $0.80 to $3.20 depending on how many classes you have taught in one month; and, short notice class (classes booked within 24 hours) of $2 per lesson. The site provides teachers with the option of being paid weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly through direct bank deposit or PayPal.
Cambly is an online platform that connects students from all over the world with native English speakers. This site has slowly become popular amongst students as it provides an instantaneous connection with tutors. Think of it like Uber for English tutors. The best feature about this app is the student practice where teachers are paid to converse with the students trying to practice their English skills. This site pays an average of 17 cents per minute of conversation, which is approximately USD 10.20 per hour with a guarantee of payment even if students do not show up for their session. The payments are sent on a weekly schedule through PayPal once you attain the minimum payment threshold of $20. You also do not need a bachelors’ degree, teaching certificate, or any prior experience. All you need is an excellent grasp of English and a reliable internet connection.
This is an innovative learning platform specifically designed for children between the ages of 4 and 12. Magic Ears requires the teachers to have a bachelor’s degree or to be actively enrolled in a bachelor’s program, all teachers must be Native English Speakers, requires a 120-hour ESL certification and some teaching experience, and a reliable internet connection. This platform offers one of the highest paying opportunities for teachers with an average hourly pay of a minimum of $12 and a maximum of $26. The classes often average 25 minutes with extra 5 minutes for recording feedback from the students. Magic Ears also has a minimal weekly commitment: 1.5 hours (3 25-min classes). Payments are made every month (10th of the next month).
Teach Away provides online tutoring jobs for certified teachers, ESL instructors, and/or college graduates. The site offers a range of remote working opportunities for individuals seeking either part-time or full time teaching jobs. Teach Away also provides an online certification course including TEFL for individuals interested in becoming teachers that comes with an online core curriculum and flexible practicum options. Positions can be accessed from their job board that lists both remote and physical teaching jobs available across the globe. This site is an excellent resource for an individual interested in becoming an online teacher but lacks the necessary skills or certification.
This is a digital platform that links teachers with students from all over the world. The site offers up to $17 USD per 40 Minute Class with the ability of teachers and instructors to control their schedules and working locations. The interactive teaching platform makes it easy and simple for both the teacher and student to teach and learn from making it one of the best educational platforms out there. The site also comes with a pre-uploaded National Geographic lesson. New applicants often take between 10 – 14 days to become employed and sign their Service Agreement. You can also teach trial classes provided for new students at a lucrative rate of $8 per converted student as an incentive per class. The eligibility requirements for teachers on Say Abc include:
- Being a Native level of English
- Owning a computer with a reliable and fast internet connection and audio/video capability
- Holding a Bachelor’s degree or above
- Preferred minimum of one-year teaching experience
- Holding a certificate in TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, or any other relevant teaching certificates is preferred.
DaDa is one of the first online English education companies in mainland China to hold a partnership with the American TESOL Institute. Based in Shanghai, China, the site offers a world-class curriculum founded on partnerships with other institutions like Pearson Test of English Academic, Highlights, and National Geographic Learning. The site offers a minimum of $15/hour and a maximum of $25 /hour with teachers required to work for at least 10 hours every month. The eligibility requirements for the teachers include:
- Being a native English speaker (from any country)
- Holding a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Holding a teaching certificate including TESOL, TEFL, and CELTA, state or provincial teaching license amongst others.
- Computer with an HD webcam and reliable internet connection
- A headset that comes with a microphone
- Google Chrome browser or DaDa software.
The site also often offers 10% raises for teachers who want to renew their contracts with existing contracts ranging from between 6 and 12 months.
Boxfish is a Chinese digital company that offers teachers a minimum of $20/hour and a maximum of $22/hour. This site requires its teachers to teach their classes from their smartphone or tablet as their teaching software is available as a mobile application. As a teacher, you can either decide to teach group classes or one-on-one lessons. BoxFish only hire native English speakers from the US, Canada, UK, New Zealand, and Australia and pays through PayPal. Teachers need a Bachelor’s degree and also require a form of teaching certification. The site also requires teachers to have at least one year of teaching experience. Payments are sent on the 20th of each month through direct bank deposit.
Qkids provides an online platform that links over 1 million young learners between the ages of 4 – 12 years located across the world with online teachers, tutors, educators, stay at home parents, college students, and individuals who have a passion for teaching. Teachers do not need any form of lesson planning because the lessons are pre-set in the application. Teachers can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S. or Canada and can earn between $16 – USD 20 an hour, with each in-lesson being 30 minutes in length. The site is quite flexible as teachers are allowed to set their schedules. Qkids provides teachers with a contract term of 6 months that is renewable. The eligibility requirements for teachers include:
- Being eligible to legally work in the U.S. or Canada
- Holding a Bachelor’s degree
- Holding a Teaching license or English teaching certificate (TESOL, TEFL, CELTA, and ESL) required before lessons assigned.
- A computer with a webcam
- A headset with a microphone
- Stable Internet connection (cable connection preferred)
All teachers are paid through bank transfer to your U.S. or Canada bank accounts no later than the 15th of each month for the previous month’s earnings with the transfer fees being covered by the site.
Italki is a language marketplace where teachers and students can purchase and use language learning credits. Think of this platform as the eBay of languages. Unlike other sites, this platform is less strict when it comes to credentials as you can decide to either list yourself as a professional or community teacher. Professional teachers are categorized as native or near-native speakers who are professionally certified or experienced in teaching a language as a foreign or second language. Professional teachers should also be 18 years or older and have a 1-3 minute video introduction. On the other hand, community teachers can be Native or near-native speakers who will provide these services in informal settings. Community teachers do not require any form of credentials and should also be 18 years or older. Both professional and community teachers are allowed to set their rates.
GoGo Kid is an online platform that connects children in China with teachers located globally. On this platform, teachers can earn anywhere between $14-$25/hour.
Some of the eligibility requirements for teachers include:
- Holding at least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Have legal eligibility to work in the USA or Canada
- Have teaching experiences in any setting.
- Hold a valid ESL certification from an accredited organization with a valid certificate number (Preferred)
The site provides all teachers with independent contracts that can be held for six months and renewed once it ends. Payments for previous months are made at least once every month no later than the fifteenth (15th) day of the current month. This site uses PayPal as a payment option.
UUabc is an interactive platform that links students and remote teachers across the globe. The eligibility requirements for teachers include:
- Being a native English speaker.
- Holding a Bachelor’s Degree or above.
- Having At least 1 year of online ESL teaching experience
- Have experience in teaching Subject English preferred.
- Hold either TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate.
- American/British accent preferred.
- Own A desktop/laptop and have a stable internet connection, with equipment (headsets, webcam, etc.)
The site pays between $18 and $28 with $3 per hour bonuses and some standby rates. Teachers are also expected to commit to at least 8 hours of lessons every week.
Hawo is a digital teaching platform based in China that links teachers and students with a base rate of at least $22 per hour. This site provides a flexible teaching schedule for teachers who are allowed to set their classes. The eligibility requirements for teachers include:
- Being a Native English speaker with a neutral accent
- Holding a Bachelor’s degree or above.
- Having experience in teaching or tutoring
- Have experience in the US or Canada teaching systems
- Having a teaching license and certificate
- Own at least a PC or MAC and a reliable internet connection.
English Hunt is a digital company based in South Korea that hires online tutors with a starting rate of $14.00 per hour. The classes are scheduled for the afternoon in Korean time with busy times between 1 am EST to 3 am EST. the eligibility requirements for teachers include:
- Hold at least a BA in any subject to qualify can be substituted for ESL certification.
- ESL Degree preferred (TEFL/TESOL etc.)
- At least 4 years of teaching experience can be substituted for teaching certification
- Own a Desktop/laptop with a running Windows Operating System
- Have a Headset with an attached microphone
- Have an Ethernet internet connection with upload speeds faster than 3.0 Mbps.
- You must be a US Citizen to qualify
- You must have a US bank account to receive payment
Teaching English online and from home is a lucrative opportunity that is better suited for someone looking for a work-from-home opportunity. Some of these positions require credentials while others don’t. Most of these sites also allow you to set your schedule and determine how often you can teach these classes. You can choose to apply to all of them and determine the best option that suits your needs and works around your schedule.